Kayak and Varnish Durability - How many years will it last ?

I built a 14 ft kayak using 4 mm marine plywood, one layer of fiberglass, epoxy, and then varnished.   If I store it inside out of the sun and minimize the rock damage how long will the finish last ?  I read after 5 years it must be sanded and re-varnished but the article didn't specify if that was for larger wooden boats stored in the sun and or in the water.  Also, what is the chance of rot occurring ?  Since this was my first boat I have sealed spots where the glass did not lay perfectly.       

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kayak and Varnish Durability - How many years will it last ?

If you store your boat outside in the sun the finish will probably last one to two years before you have to redo the varnish.  

From Tips For Boatbuilders - "Lightly used boats that are stored indoors can go three or four years or even more." I would imagine that if your boat's epoxy envelope is complete and intact, rot issues should be minimal.

My first two boats are 6 years old now and I haven't re-varnished them yet. Stored inside, used mainly in sunny Florida. Will be taking both of them as is to the MASCF in a couple of weeks. A few scratches but they add character. The varnish is 7 coats of Epiphanes. 

Speaking of the Mid Atlantic show, hope to see some of you there. I know Laszlo will be there and the CLC guys. If you've never been I would encourage you to make the effort.

George K. 

My Shearwater 17 (which I launched in March) has seen a few rocks this summer so I will most likely sand and revarnish the hull this winter. The deck has some minor scratches which I will leave till I really feel like taking the rigging off.

Dan 

Wow!  Do I feel abusive.  Although I have taken my yak out at least twice a week, and have skimmed a few oyster bars, I had an epoxy repair and re-varnished that in a 4 month period

Kev

I am rebuilding the deck on my kayak. it has been outside in the sun for 6 years and is badly weather damaged. From experience, I would apply a light coat of varnish every 2nd yr.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.