Shearwater 17 Launched

I finished my boat this weekend, and she paddles really well.  Pictures of the build and the finished product are at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/103890661225113314730/ZCShearwater17#

Here is an attempt at posting a couple shots.  Thanks for everyone's help with my questions.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shearwater 17 Launched

Your workmanship is outstanding and your photos and supportive comments are NOT to be missed. Terrific job explaining the long and worthwhile journey your build took. Great job in building and sharing your considerable expertise. thank you. thank you.

Why so many hatches and what's your final weight?

Nice looking boat.

Paul

Hi

Your boat look grate  :)

Thanks fore sharing the photos. 

Nice work! That looks like one solid boat. I especially like the day hatch.

Dan 

Thanks for the kind words.  Since this was my first boat it has all the warts you might expect, but I'm fine with every one of them.

Dan - You biuild log and posts were very helpful.  Thanks for that!

Paul - I really only added the third day hatch, and then replaced the wood hatches in the kit with VCP-style units.  I had to make the carbon fiber recesses from scratch per Ross Leidy's methods for his Whiptail.  My goal with this boat was to include all the features common on high-end commercial touring boats since that's what I typically paddle. The end result is a bit less traditional than an all wood boat, but I like the industrial look of carbon fiber and the graphite bottom with the wood.  I added the cable-operated skeg for the same reason.  As for weight, my wife's bathroom scale says 51 pounds with all rigging, seat,padding, hatches, etc - ready to paddle.  I'm actually surprised it's not heavier given the hatches, the skeg and a fully glassed interior (maybe the scale's off?).  Anyhow, it feels about the same (maybe a bit lighter) than a standard 17"British FG boat.

-Zach

I broke the boat today.  While surfing down the face of a wave, I got hit from behind by a much larger wave that I didn't even see coming. That resulted in my 17 foot kayak doing an "endo" (end-over-end roll), which is definitely something to avoid.  Somewhere in that process, I landed with all my weight vertically on the foot pegs, and I broke the rail on the right side.  When the rail snapped, The bolt pulled right through the hull.  Many of the ancillary components included in the kit really aren't sufficient for hard use.  I think I replaced virtually all of those other than the foot braces, but I'm about to rectify that.  The repair shouldn't be too tough, and I'll install aluminum-rail foot pegs.  I'll probably also reinforce the hull with a second layer of ply with a few layers of carbon fiber for stiffness (before the break, I already had a few layers of 6or 'glass reinforcement in that area, but I guess more is better).  Aside from this set-back, I'm really very happy with the boat.  Attached are a few shots of the carnage.  I've also added pics to my build log at http://picasaweb.google.com/103890661225113314730/ZCShearwater17#.

-Zach

Zach,

Sounds like you're ok. That's the main thing. Everything else is fixable.

Be safe out there,

Dan 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.