Final Cleaning of sanded surface.

Differing recommendations have me a little confused.  I've almost completed the final sanding of my C16 hull and am now ready to varnish and paint.

The CLC helpline advised me to use denatured alcohol (otherwise known as Methylated Spirits) to clean the hull prior to applying the varnish/paint.  The guide book which comes with the plans refers to lacquer thinners as a cleaning medium.

What's it to be ?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Dave

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Final Cleaning of sanded surface.

Denatures alcohol by all means. This will remove any body oil or other contaminants and will evaporate in a few seconds. Dust the surface thoroughly (vacuum it or blow it with an air hose if possible) to get ALL the dust off and out of any depressions then wipe down with the DA before each and every coat of varnish. Any time you spend cleaning the surface will be time well spent. Denatured alcohol and 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper are a varnishers best friends.  SEEYA Jack

Use denatured alcohol for the final wipedown before varnish coats.

~Chris 

denatured alcohol always on wood. never a problem, old time secret.

Many thanks guys.  Meths (denatured alcohol) it shall be !

I also took an additional step of putting the boat out in the yard and scrubbing it with hot soapy water with one of those green plastic scrubby pads - helped take out any hidden sanding dust from depressions, did a bit of further smoothing, as well as another line of defense against grease/oil.  Then rinsed with the hose and dried well (with a towel and then air dried overnight).  But I'm sure just the alcohol would work. 

Hi Kathy

Excellent idea. Having spent close on 160 hours building my Chesapeake 16 (from plans), I'm not about to spoil the ship for a ha'penny worth of tar !

I'll scrub the boat down as suggested.

Dave

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.