Building new shop

First yak was built in my living room.  Now I am fortunate to be able to have a shop built.  Yes I am old and fat.  Being in OH, what is the best way to heat it?  Vented gas furnace?

Thx

Kim

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Building new shop

I have a 600 sq ft shop in NJ, and an overhead, sealed combustion gas unit from Reznor. I think it's around 20,000 btu. It's awesome.

Pat

Since you are starting from scratch I would suggest as much passive solar as possible...large south facing  windows that would heat a thick concrete slab floor. This way whatever heat source you choose will have less work to do=cheaper.

Dan 

Unfortunately the south side faces a field away from the road. It would be a favored point of entry for bad guys. 

I am considering using spray foam for insulation.  A bit pricey but Obama will give me a 30 % tax break if done be 12/31. 

Kim

Sorry to hear about bad guys. Looking out on a field sounds pretty nice to me.

There are lots of tax incentives for insulation and other weatherization along with solar, etc. I got 60% back (between state and federal) for my solar hot water system which could also be used for radiant heat .

Dan 

I redid my workshop last year and 2 important items were, 1.  doors on all shelves and storage and 2. air filtration system.    cleaning the air has made such a difference. even with masks and respirators there was alot i was breathing.

You might want to look into a furnace that uses recycled oil. a friend of mine put one in his shop and he gets more used oil from friends and family to heat the shop. just a suggestion. good luck and enjoy the new shop.

You can always use a Trombe wall for that south wall.  You don't have all windows but you still get the benefit of passive solar heat gains.  If done right, you could get almost all the heat you need this way.  Use plenty of insulation and then the trombe wall...I was amazed at how well it works.

Jerry S

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.