Dealing with Football and Keel-Strip Threads

I had a good weekend of boat-building, and the outer hull of my SH17 is now sheathed in 'glass.  At the edges of the "football" and keel strips, I have a ton of loose threads in the glass, which appear as raised lines in the first coat of epoxy.  I know that 'Twofootartist', and perhaps others, sanded these down prior to their fill coats.  That seems like the way to go so long as I don't go through the bottom layers of 'glass.  Would you recommend going that route, and is 80 grit hand-sanding appropriate (or should I save the sanding for post-fill coats)?  This is probably a dumb question, but when I use a roller on the fill-coats, should I pour the epoxy directly on the boat or use a roller tray?  My latest pictures are at the end of:

http://picasaweb.google.com/103890661225113314730/ZCShearwater17#

Thanks as always!

-Zach

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Dealing with Football and Keel-Strip Threads

Here is an attempt at posting a photo.  I hope this works...

I glassed the outside of the hull on my wife's SW16 this weekend. I wetted out the glass and let it set for about 12 hours. At this point the epoxy had hardened pretty well. I trimmed the excess from the shear. Then I used a cabinet scrapper and, going in one direction (third layer to second layer, second to first), shaved the threads and edges of the football and keel strip. This worked really well. I was careful not to scrape too far. I then put on the second coat of epoxy and when that had hardened, sanded with 80 grit. This accomplished 80% of the feathering. I now have the third coat on and it looks like the final sanding will be a breeze.

Dan

Oh, I used a roller tray. Easier to control that way, imo

Dan

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.