Getting started

Next week , i will receive the eastport pram kit. I have never done this before. any tips, suggestions or general advice before i start. thanks

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Getting started

Work calmly and patiently.  Whenever working with epoxy, factor in some time at the end of your work session to clean up squeeze out, drips, runs, etc. and to check alignment of parts.  Read your building manual, as many times as you need to.  There is a wealth of info on this site, read through it (e.g., Tips for Boatbuilders).  View CLC's boatbuilding video and perhaps other youtube videos.  And if you are ever stuck or unsure about a step, call CLC or post your question/concern here on the Forum.  Enjoy your build.

thank you. looking forward to it.

I am ALMOST done with my Eastport Pram that I started about a year ago (many disruptions / life events along the way); I've enjoyed the build a great deal.  Very good advice above from ootdb, and I would also add to try to work on the boat at least a little bit every day.  Whether it's just cleaning up the shop or actually doing work on the boat, just stay engaged in the project.  Good luck, and enjoy.

this whole epoxy thing has me concerned.  seems alot of posts about drips and problems with copper wire.

Hi model t,

I've done both copper wire and plastic ties, and do find the plastic to be easier.  I also like tabbing parts together with thickened epoxy, and then removing the ties or wires.  Then it becomes possible to cover the tiny narrow tabs with neater, narrow fillets.

Epoxy can be messy to work with, it is true.  If you're coating vertical surfaces, drips and sags can be minimized by making sure your epoxy isn't too cold (which makes it more viscous) and applying the thinnest possible coats with about a 3" foam roller.  But any lumps or bumps that you do get can be quite easily planed down with repeated light strokes with a sharp scraper, and then fully erased by hand sanding.

There is some skill required in applying fiberglass, also.  Make sure the wood and fiberglass are free of contamination, and use just enough resin to turn the glass cloth clear.  Carefully check as you go that the glass hasn't lifted off the wood, because that creates problems later when you need to level those surfaces.  

Remember that minor "mistakes" are going to happen, which is the way most of us gain experience.  Remember the words of George Washington:  "To err is nature; to rectify error is glory." 

Happy rectifying, boatbuilder!

Grant 

Grant, thank you for the great tips. I read where people were using zip ties. nice trick of using some filler to hold in place. I am starting out small. have a large work shop and looks like not many tools are used. I have done alot of auto body work and seems i will be doing alot of sanding. thanks once again.

Hi

My son and I are thinking of buying the Eastport Nesting Pram kit.  I'm haven't had much experience in working with wood and am trying to determine if this is something I really want to get into.  What (must have) tools do I need ?  Any estimate on the total time that it takes?  Also, why buy CLC Eastport when there are others out there that are similar?  I was looking into Fred Shells 7 footer.

Thanks

Russ

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.