Wood Duck 10 and fit with Malone XV carrier?

I bought the Malone J-shape XV autoloader to go on my Yakima rack.  A nice fit and well-made carrier, but my Wood Duck 10  barely makes contact with the inner parts of the carrier.  Is this a problem?

I know David said he had a good fit with his Wood Ducks.  Any comments, Dave or anyone else who has used the Malone' with their boats.?

Thanks,

Rich

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Wood Duck 10 and fit with Malone XV carrier?

Mine makes contact on the rack in three places. The bottom of the boat toaches the back of the rack, the Hull/ deck joint touches the bottom of the rack, and the top touches the front of the rack.

Just traveled with them today, If I get a chance tomorrow I will throught he wd10 back on the roof and snap a photo of the fit.

David 

Here are two shots of the Duck back on the car, basically three point contact with the rack. With the rubber strips on the rack and straps in place it doesnt go anywhere. Obviously needs to work for many different shaped kayaks. Have fun paddling

David

Dave,

That's about the way mine fits.  Have you used the carrier on the highway?

By the way, beautiful boat with a fantastic finish!  Thanks for the pics.

Rich

I also have the Malone carrier with a WD 10. I found that the lower part of the rack left gouges in the boat where the rack touches it (near the hull/deck). This may have been my carelessness in sliding the boat onto the rack. But I attached foam to the rack using velcro and it's been fine since then.

I also have the Malone carrier with a WD 10. I found that the lower part of the rack left gouges in the boat where the rack touches it (near the hull/deck). This may have been my carelessness in sliding the boat onto the rack. But I attached foam to the rack using velcro and it's been fine since then.

I have been on the highway a few times. Still getting used to carrying the kayaks, but they havent moved in there racks, a little swaying in cross breezes, but they hold tight.

I was concerned about the ridges on the carrier but have not seen the same issued as mentioned in last post. Foam is a good idea though.

Thanks for the comments on the finish. My wd 12 has a epoxy/ carbon black finish. Not as pretty, but it really holds up well to beachings and unseen obstacles. The WD10 has picked up a few pretty good scratches in justs 10 hours of paddling.

I think i am going to add this finiash to the bottom of the WD 10

David

I am currently at Lake Tahoe having driven up from Palm Desert, CA - a 550-mile trip.  My Shearwater 17 rode in the Malone racks just fine.

Paul

I made custom j racks for my SOF last week.  Happy to email you pictures (david at dragonsong dot ca), planning on making a roof top cradle this week.  With two boats, the SOF will ride on edge and the WD12 flat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.