1st time boat building - Sea Island Kayak - Plans or kit?

Hi everyone,

I live in Australia and this is my first post on this awesome website.
  I am very keen to build a CLC Sea Island sit on top kayak. The images I have seen on here look fantastic. I love working with my hands and have overcome several challenges such as back to bare metal respray of an old jag, making a leather golf bag for golf professional and a motorbike saddlebag.

At the moment funds are tight so I am wondering wether to buy the plans and manual for the Sea Island Kayak and have a go at making it without the kit at a leasurely pace, substituting the puzzle joints for scarf joints using a jig. For a first time boat builder is this achievable?
My shed is way large enough and I have a fair few tools already.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: 1st time boat building - Sea Island Kayak - Plans or kit?

CZ, I have attached a photo with an arrow pointing to to the tree

When you click on that, this box opens and you paste your URL in the top field.

Here is a photo of that:

Hey Jeff I appreciate your efforts to get me up to speed on posting and will try later...I am looking forward to success so I can post some pictures of the WD hybrids progress.

Nullabar welcome to the boat building bug. You should have known that if you hang around long enough you will become infected. I thought that I was away from the hub of alot of this activity by living in Colorado but you get the honours. I am fairly new to this family and it is a great bunch who's help and support is invaluable. I chose the Wood Duck Hybrid as my first build and I did it with the full sized prints and the manual. I am a life long carpenter and wood worker and I love the challange of something new--this is becoming known by those who know me as my therapy project. Given your brief desciption of yourself I think you could handle the plans and manual option. I do not know the particulars of shipping a kit to "Down Under" but I would think that it would represent a large factor in chosing your approach,--if you are good with your hands,problem solving, and are not afraid to as questions on this Forum, you will be fine.....go for it.....CZ

Hi CZ,
   Thanks for the welcome and encouragement. There is a CLC distributor about a couple of hundred miles from me that I will contact today. According to their website though the Sea Island Sport is not one ot the kits/plans they offer so I could just order it direct from CLC.
Hopefully the distributor will have all the materials I need.

I love the look of the sapele plywood. Would there be any structural problems replacing some of the other 4mm thick okoume panels with the 3mm thick sapele marine ply? Can it look bad if it is used too much on a boat?  

Thanks

Nullarbor

I have managed to find the answer on here about the sapele - heavier and harder to work with but looks beautiful.

The Sapele is beautiful looking stuff--I have no experience with it but I have seen pictures posted were the build included both types of plywood with some amazing design work. I have 4 types of wood -for the strips on the top half of my boat -- I am in the comfort zone with design and fit with the wooden strips-the blending of plywood types is another craft that just amazes me.....CZ

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.