Poly paint question

I've taped up my yak with 3m's striping tape.  If I put a coat of Interlux paint on it, go back after the appropriate dry time and apply another or two layers of paint, will I shred my paint lines upon removing the tape?  (The paint having dried across that tape-to-hull seam.)  I had no problem doing this with the Interlux primer, but that was a different sort of surface....

Appreciate anybody's experience with this;

Thanks,
Larry

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Poly paint question

Hi Larry,

I used Pettit Easypoxy for the "strips at the deck/chine and bottom chine. I used regular blue tape. It came off well without hurting the paint. I took it off when the last coat was wet.

Dan 

Dan, that's good to hear. 

I was less than impressed with how this Interlux went on... thin foam roller and it left bubbles EVERYWHERE!!!  I tipped it out, which seemed to help a lot, and the paint must have a great leveler in it, 'cause when I'd made my way back around the boat, it actually looked pretty good. 

Tomorrow's another day!

Thanks for the insight,

Larry

Easy Poxy also bubbled with roller, had to tip it out also, but it flattens well.

Dan 

All paints bubble with rollers, that's why they have to be tipped.

Thanks Laslo, was hoping you'd weigh in here!

This morning I did a test pull of the blue tape (that covers the 3M tape) and it came up quite cleanly.  I think I'll just have to be careful and pull in the right direction.  I may lightly score the lines with a razor prior to pulling, just to be sure.

Larry

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.