Third attempt at image post...

Houston, WoodDuck 12 Launch

RE: New WoodDuck enters the water in Houston, Texas

Looks Great!

Congratulations, Happy Paddling.

David 

NICE!  I really like the leafs.  Are those real leafs or onlays or prints on rice paper?  I did a similar thing on my SOF, used vinyl to do red maple leafs on a white boat… a Canadian theme, eh.

Also, I am curious about your seat.  I just glassed the exterior of my wife’s WD12, should be launching June 1st-ish and have not settled on the seat yet.

Enjoy!

Very nicely done. The fish should be trembling in fear. The rigging looks incredible practical, a serious fishing machine. The leaves are a nice touch, too, just don't lose your boat in the yard this Fall. :-)

How's that pole holder working out? No collisions getting in and out of the cockpit?

Welcome to the fleet!

Laszlo

Looks good! I like the leaves.

It looks like you have some bunggie cord at the sides with a hook that you use for your pole & paddle. How are they working out? I am also currious about your seat. Where do you plan to fish- local lakes bay? And where is your PDF?

Ralph

Great looking kayak. Well thought out rigging.  Tell us more about the seat and the leaves.

Lou

Thanks everyone for all the comments and support from CLC and the forum.  This was my first build and it was from plans only.  The puzzle scarf joints are custom.  I used the plans to make templates from ¼” MDF. Then drew the puzzle design into the ends of these templates and cut them out, leaving the line visible.  After this was done all the templates were carefully sanded to the lines and checked to see that they joined tight and secure.

The templates are then laid out on the okoume and cut out using a router with a carbide pattern cutting bit.  This leaves me with finished pieces just like they came from the CNC machine.  All templates are numbers and marked with the original markings and stitching holes were pre drilled in them as well.

The leaves were an experiment.  I wanted to make sure that whatever I did would not end up with air trapped in or under it and that it would look as real as possible. So, I attacked the wife’s silk flowers and grabbed some various sized and shaped silk grape leaves. Removing the plastic stems and veins from these, I laid them out on the ironing board with a damp cloth over them and ironed them till the laid perfectly flat.   I then soaked them in epoxy in a small plastic container.  Making sure they were fully saturated, they were then placed in predetermined positions on the kayak deck.  I then weighed them down using large Ziploc freezer bags filled with sand.  This would allow them to setup flat and the bags would not stick or leave wrinkles in the epoxy like plastic wrap.  After the epoxy cured, I did a very light sanding over them to smooth out the edges.  Then I just laid up the glass as specked.

I will post all this and photos of the process on my website soon and give you the URL.

Thanks,

The leafsPatterns

The leaf photo was taken just after the weave was saturated and before the fill coats. (so you can see the weave texture)  Oh and the seat is a Hot and Spicey from Surf to Summit, as is the back rest.  The rigigng on the sides and aft areas are from Yak-Gear. I placed a Scotty fly rod holder on a maple block in the cockpit. it can be removed when not in use and is adjustable.  As for the missing PDF (AKA PFD...LOL) It;s in the front at my feet. I neglected to put it on.

After first varnish coat was sprayed on

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.