Re: Filleting joints....

Posted by LeeG on Dec 15, 2007

If the fillet was the only structural element I could see it might be an issue in some applications but my $.02 it's not critical in this application. If someone has has a failure at the fillet/wood joint in a COMPLETED and glassed hull in regular use I'd like to hear about it.

There's kind of an overemphasis on filleting as a singularly important construction event. It's mostly significant because it's your first application of goop to making the hull whole. Don't trip out on it.

I don't like leaving wires in because it pretty much dictates needing wide tape to cover the wires where there's no fillet in the ends and can cause some bumps if they aren't pushed down where the fillet is applied.

Lay down some 2" wide blue tape about 1/16" above the wire holes. Run a bead of slightly thickened (cabosil is fine) between the wires, you don't need much, just a little bead that soaks down between the joint leaving a long dash between each wire. When cured remove the wires and fillet so the goop squishes through the holes. It's not the end of the world if the holes aren't filled. After the fillets are done pull up the tape. There's no reason for fillets to be wider than 3/4"-1" feathered. If there's glass on the inside the fillets only need to continue whatever curve you make on the outside so the hull thickness continues around the chine. I don't find a sharp exterior is beneficial. The reason for making the tape close to the wire holes is that a lot of fillet goop can be spread thin and barely visible but over 90'(three joints two sides)a lot of goop can accumulate. When you pull up the tape there might be some bumps on the edge but you can scrape/press them down as it cures to a putty stage.

In Response to: Filleting joints.... by Joe M on Dec 14, 2007

Replies: