Tipping out

Posted by Mike on Jul 19, 2007

Last night, I done filled my little tray with varnish, donned my gloves, and prepared to put the 3rd coat of varnish on when I realized I did not have any more foam brushes. So I sat there, drinking my beer, deciding what to do next when I remembered that I had a nice paint brush in the garage somewhere I used on some other project years ago. So I thought I'd give that a try for tipping out and such instead of dumping the varnish back into the can and retiring to the living room to watch Seinfeld. Much to my satisfaction, I found it much nicer to use, especially around the coaming area, than the foam and it seemed to produce a more even finish with virtually no brush marks or other surface blemishes. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this, or perhaps it was just a combination of getting better at this varnishing stuff and a few extra beers? Whatever it is, illusion or not, I'm using a brush for the 4th and 5th coats! In my opinion, the results are worth the hassle of cleaning the brush!

Replies: