Re: Kayak Transportation

Posted by Laszlo on Jul 9, 2007

Pierce,

Maybe you can get friends & family to chip in and call it an early Christmas present?

I started out with an inexpensive system. It was all sorts of extra work to load and secure the boat and then one day the racks themselves broke. I replaced it with a Trac Rac and have not regretted it. It's much safer and easier to use. It's so solid that I only need one ratchet strap & bungee cord per boat. I've had it just under 5 years now with no trouble whatsoever.

While the Trac Rac is more expensive than my previous solution, I don't have to worry about the costs of losing my boats off the truck (loss of boats, increased insurance payments and criminal prosecution for involuntary manslaughter, among other possibilities). The ease of loading means that the boats will get used and not be white elephants. So it eliminates a lot of hidden costs which the cheap system had.

Since I went with the cheap system first and then the good one, I've had to pay over half again what I would've paid if I'd just gone with the good one in the beginning. Beware of false economy.

Laszlo

In Response to: Re: Kayak Transportation by Pierce on Jul 8, 2007

Replies: