Kudos for SW design

Posted by John Beck on May 21, 2007

I just want to thank Eric Schade and CLC for such a great design of the SW17 hybrid. I put a few more miles on this weekend and was absolutely delighted with the performance, tracking and turning capabilities.

Conditions were about 10-15 mph winds on small lake so waves weren't an issue. Weathercocking weathercocking was non-existent. I paddled every direction in 45 degree increments without any weathercocking. I paddled in higher wind with some waves on Sunday of O-Fest and all I had to do was point it and paddle.

Turning into or away from the wind required just lean a while maintaining normal forward paddle strokes; not consecutive sweeps on one side. It responds really well to hard leaning with high or low brace. Execution a high brace extended paddle turn resulted in a 180 degree turn within about a boat length. Man, I love this boat.

That's my pitch for "Beyond The Cockpit", a video of Derek Hutchinson (University of Sea Kayaking) teaching you how to lean out of the boat while supporting yourself with the paddle. I feel I'm a much more confident and complete paddler as I learn these skills.

John

Replies:

No Replies.