Shearwater kits

Posted by Brian on May 16, 2007

I've been considering building a CLC kit for about 6 months now. I'm finally on the verge of buying my first one now that I was finally able to try some of them out at the Okoumefest (great marketing tool BTW guys). I'm planning to get a Shearwater 17 kit, but I have some questions about it that aren't easily answered from reading The New Kayak Shop or watching the CLC Zen video.

First, how is the shearwater's deck attached to the hull? From the picture of the kit parts, there don't appear to be any shear clamps there to nail the deck in, and I don't understand how it is held in place without that.

Second, my current kayak has both a day hatch and a large hatch behind the cockpit. There is a small bulkhead separating the space below the day hatch from that accessed with the large hatch. How would I go about putting a bulkhead between those two? Would I be able to use any type of wood, since that isn't structural, or would I need to ask CLC to include a small piece of wood for that purpose. Either way, are there any recommendations on how I would make that piece fit properly in there? Fitting the sides of an extra bulkhead seems much easier than getting the top to fit properly.

Third, would those who have a shearwater already recommend a skeg, or just keeping the kayak as is? I hate rudders, but I do enjoy having a little assistance in countering weathercocking when I'm doing longer hauls and the wind starts picking up to 15-20 knots on me midtrip. If I keep the back end loaded properly on one of these, is a skeg unnecessary?

Finally, regarding things listed under the Materials & Tools section on the Products page, what things on there am I likely to wish I had ordered (or ordered more of) when I start working on the kit. How many things like the plastic spreaders, or rollers, did you find that you used to make one of these?

I realize that I've covered a lot of things here, but I'm trying to ease my uncertainty a little more before finally placing my order. I've built a lot of things over the years. But, with the exception of a couple backyard fences, they've all been covered by drywall and/or spackle and paint when it was all over.

Replies: