Re: HVLP gun

Posted by J. Schott on Apr 6, 2007

If you ever build a double with a bright finish, you will get all the experience you want after 5 coats. Penetrol is a flow agent. The best way I can describe what it does is retard the "flash" time of oil based paints to give it a little more time to flow out. As far as wet vs. dry sanding, it is my personal opinion that wet sanding is far superior for varnish. The water acts as a lubricant and the paper cuts cleaner. By rinsing the paper often, the paper will not clog with varnish dust and do it's intended job better.

Any automotive painter will tell you that the time spent preping the job will ultimately determine the quality of the finish. I spent and entire year hand sanding my Camaro before my friend would even think about putting paint on it. The hood alone was sanded 9 times with a paint paddle as a fairing board and using 320 paper. I wish I had pictures of it because the finished product was stunning. He was my Mr. Miagi of prep. I'll never forget him running his hand over my work and saying "It's not ready yet, keep sanding."

Remember, the only coat that has to be perfect is the last one. You will never see the blemishes in the previous coats once sanded and recoated. If done right, you have 4 coats to perfect your technique. Here is another picture of the paint on my 17. The same routine works for paint, even dark colors.-Joey

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/ckayak17/KAYAKPAINT_1102.jpg

In Response to: Re: HVLP gun by Laszlo on Apr 6, 2007

Replies:

No Replies.