Re: Epoxy

Posted by Alan Speakman on Oct 23, 2006

Hi Kim,

A few thoughts...

* Controlling the rate at which epoxy kicks is sort of an art form... Containers that offer little open surface area tend to make the exothermic process of the epoxy cure accelerate... Containers with large open surface areas tend to slow it down... In cold conditions, I tend to use cans, and in warmer weather, I tend to use pans with wide surface areas...

* Unfortunately, sanding is a bane amongst us...

* I absolutely agree with Jim... Visible scarf joints are ok... But go with an onlay if you want... But don't be too hyper about finish... Absolutely do your best, but don't let a few epoxy drips get you down... There are far too many half-built boats for sale because people got discouraged in the belief that the boat they were building wasn't going to "look good enough". Build it safe and solid, finish it, and get it in the water. And if the world doesn't like the look of it, then the world can take a long leap off a short pier...

Anyway, those are my two cents...

Alan

P.S. The first time my wife landed her Mill Creek 13 "Frankenyak" (it was a "rush build" with plenty of epoxy drips and screws in the front deck), she literally got a standing ovation from the four folks on the shore... All had plastic yaks... Say no more...

In Response to: Re: Epoxy by Kim on Oct 22, 2006

Replies: