Re: Epoxy over Veneer?

Posted by Alan Speakman on Sep 24, 2006

Hi Kathrine,

Some thoughts...

o I wish this thread had been around before I built the CLC Mill Creek 13 for the wife... Let me backtrack... Back in 1997, I read an article in the May/June - July/August editions of "WoodenBoat" magazine concerning the complete process of building the Mill Creek. I was impressed - a stable kayak. So I saved the article, and ordered the kit... To say that I devoured that article and the CLC "Assembly Manual" that came with the kit is a huge understatement. My wife and I just re-read both documents, and can find nothing about glassing the deck. Nothing whatsoever. In short, I don't think you HAVE to glass the deck.

However, I have to agree with Lazslo and Kurt... Now's your chance to make a much finer yak and I would go for it if I were you... It will take more time, but if you're careful, and if you use the best techniques and materials, you're NOT just building a beautiful kayak for yourself... You're building a family heirloom. My first boat took years to finish, but still is in fine shape after nearly 30 years of use... Unless it gets hit by lightning, that boat will be around LONG after I'm gone. (Man, I'm only 47, and already thinking about divvying up my fleet in my will... Weird!)

o As far as the mechanics of glassing the deck, I'd suggest using large sheets of brown wrapping paper (or whatever) taped together to make a template around the coaming. You'll probably have to make a "patchwork quilt" of the paper template to get it just right, but that still will give you a good guide.

o As for working in the cold... That is perfectly "doable"... (I've built (using epoxy) in an unheated/uninsulated garage at 20 degrees F.) See: http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/shoptips_coldweatherepoxy.php/

I strongly agree with CLC about the dangers of using a kerosene heater in an enclosed space. Just a few years ago, an old high-school friend tried that and as a result died... Guess it wasn't quite drafty enough. Don't get me wrong - kerosene heaters are great when the garage door (and the windows) are wide open... But carbon monoxide is dangerous stuff!

The way I worked in the cold was to set up stable "quilt tents" (using scrap lumber and "Salvation Army" quilts) over the work area being epoxied and then placed a couple of stable lamps with 60W light bulbs on the floor inside the tent. Next, I placed a thermometer on the work surface and just let it warm up. It's a royal pain, but it worked. The next time that I have to work in cold weather, (which will probably be this winter because now it seems that I should strip the finish off the deck, glass it, and refinish), I'll probably patch together a small quilt-walled workshop in the garage, and heat that with small ceramic heaters... But no matter what, SAFETY IS THE RULE!!!!!!! CARBON MONOXIDE AND/OR FIRE TAKE NO PRISONERS!

Sorry for the long post,

Alan

In Response to: Re: Epoxy over Veneer? by Kathrine on Sep 24, 2006

Replies: