Waiting to varnish/paint

Posted by Murph on Jun 28, 2006

I am a first time poster and a first time builder (of anything). I am building a 17LT and am just at the stage where I plane the sheer clamps. Iím getting closer and closer to finishing. I want everyone to know how much help it has been going through the Forum posts for the last several years for guidance as I handle each step. Thanks.

Now for my QUESTION. I should be able to finish the building of my kayak in the next couple of weeks. I was thinking of delaying the varnishing and painting until the Fall so I can get it on the water as soon as possible. I will be storing the kayak inside and it will only be in the sun when Iím paddling. No overnight trips. No anticipated lengthy exposure to the sun. Do you see any problem with waiting until the Fall for finishing? Again, thanks.