Re: lofting

Posted by Steve Miller on Apr 29, 2006

You are not lofting in the traditonal sense but just laying out the plank shapes. The plank end shape patterns are easier to do than plotting out points and connecting the dots for these more complicated shapes.

Practice on some graph paper following your instructions to lay out some mini planks. You will understand then.

In a nutshell you will create a straight base line at the bottom of your plank blank. It can be the edge but I went up 1" so the accuracy of my saw work to cut the blanks was not an issue.

Mark "stations" every 12" (or whatever the plans say) starting at the left working to the right. Then measure up from the baseline at each "station" to a point detailed in the table of offsets. As I recall they are giving in the traditional "inches/eights/+ or -".

So the points are plotted at so many inches plus so many eights then plus or minus a 1/16th. Once the points are all marked then pound a small finish nail in each. Hold a batten along the nails and draw your line. If a mark is off or the curve does not look sweet and fair then check your work. I found it helped to label each station line and to have a helper to hold the batten.

After the top and bottom of the plank lines are marked/lofted then use the supplied patterns to mark out the fore and aft ends of each plank. I found the patterns did not fit all that well so I just split the difference. Worked out fine. Others report the same issue too. I used pattern transfer paper to make poster board cut outs of the plank ends. Then it was easy to position on the lofted lines. Just be sure the end point on the pattern matches the lofted end point on your plank layout.

I found it much easier to scarf the panel blanks then draw/loft the lines and panel ends and finally cut out a full size prescarfed plank. It would be harder to get it all correct if you tried to draw, cut then scarf. (imho)

Good luck!

Building a Mill Creek 13

In Response to: lofting by D on Apr 29, 2006

Replies: