Re: Choosing a Mill Creek

Posted by Ryan on Feb 8, 2006

Thanks for all your responses. For those of you (Andrew and Ken) with knowledge of this area I work in Springfield and live west of Republic. Andrew where do you like to paddle and what boat(s) do you have? I have only been down here for 2 years mostly go to Bennett Springs to fish and float the Niangua. Been on the James once would like to go farther. I heard there was some good small mouth the farther south you go. As stated before, I would also like to branch to some of the lakes down here. Always looking for a reason to go. My wife is expecting in June so I may need an new paddling partner.

As for the topic I started, I have considered the Chesapeake. I would probably go with the 17� because I am 6� 210lbs. According to CLC the 16� would be too small for my weight. I like this boat because it is one that I would not out grow or get tired of as I may with a Mill Creek. My problem is that I have no experience with these larger expedition boats. How do they handle how easy are they to turn and manipulate? As most of you know we don�t have any bays or oceans in Missouri. Just rivers and some lakes that compared to large bays are not that big. I will continue to use my plastic boats on the rivers, but many times I have friends come to visit and need an extra boat. I would rather have a Chesapeake over a Mill Creek if it could fit this function. I have no problem using my 17� canoe on these rivers with two paddlers, but there are a few places that may be tricky if I were to solo. I realize this is apples and oranges, but like I said I have never been in a sea kayak before.

Ryan

In Response to: Choosing a Mill Creek by Ryan on Feb 7, 2006

Replies: