Re: Passagemaker Question

Posted by CLC on Jan 28, 2006

>>>>>>>Rowing: - The sale page says it comes with �one pair of bronze oarlocks.� I think can I assume that includes the sockets, but you know what they say� - If I intend to row often with one passenger, should I order another set of sockets to mount in a position to row from the forward seat?

:>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, pick up a second set of sockets. You won't need another pair of oarlocks, though, as those stay on the oars.

>>>>>>>>>Building: - I hear the 6� Deck plates are a good idea. Is there any REAL advantage to getting more than 1 per bulkhead or can you reach anything stuffed in there with just 1? - Are the plates mounted on top of the bulkhead horizontally or inside the dinghy vertically?

:>>>>>>>>>>>

The deck plates are mounted vertically in the Standard Passagemaker. In the Take-Apart version, the forward deck plate is mounted horizontally in the front compartment.

There's a lot of space in those flotation compartments and if you want to store quantities of gear, there might be some advantage in shopping around for larger, rectangular, WATERTIGHT hatches that fit in the bulkhead faces.

>>>>>>>Sailing: - From the pictures it appears the helmsman sits inside the craft and not on the aft bulkhead. Is this strictly due to the tiller length, or can one find a comfortable position on the aft seat safely if maintaining a point of sail for a while?

:>>>>>>>>

It has everything to do with trimming the boat. If you're alone, you need to sit as close to the center of the boat as possible; a boat that weighs only 90 pounds will trim down by the stern badly if a solo sailor sits back there. If you have two people aboard, you can sit on the aft seat under sail because the boat trims level with one person forward and one person aft. I find sitting on the bottom most comfortable in either case.

Below is my favorite photo of the boat. Making about 2 knots in 3 knots of wind. (Notice the water is almost glassy but there's a prominent wake behind the rudder.) The sailmaker Bohndell did a magnificent job with the stock sails; the jib has exactly the right leech curve for a nice open slot and the draft is in exactly the right place on the mainsail. Notice the leech telltale streaming correctly even in the light airs.

http://www.clcboats.com/images/boats/passagemaker14.jpg

Passagemaker

In Response to: Passagemaker Questions by Erik L on Jan 27, 2006

Replies: