Re: lightweight safety

Posted by Mike on Jan 27, 2006

I agree with you on full deck rigging, bulkheads, watertight hatches, a sound hull and a partner or two. I just feel that you need to fully evaluate the strength weight and practicality of the hardware options that you choose to incorporate. As an example, I prefer a bulkhead footbrace for all of these reasons, it is lighter, stronger, and more comfortable. If a lot of different people will be paddling the kayak, then you have to be more creative to get the bulkhead footbrace to be adjustable.

I am a serious paddler who also has a 24 pound SOF as my lightweight kayak. I also have a homebuilt 27 pound high performance folding kayak for travelling. I have built 9 kayaks so far, and have a few more in the making. I paddle all sorts of conditions, and take safety very seriously. I believe that skiils are very important too, and don't paddle when I feel it is beyond my (or paddling partner's) skill, fitness, and equipment level. I am one of the founders of the South Sound Traditional Inuit Kayak Symposium (SSTIKS), and got involved to help others get the skills training needed to help them be better paddlers.

SSTIKS

In Response to: Re: Building light by Dave Houser on Jan 27, 2006

Replies:

• Agreed by Laszlo on Jan 29, 2006