depends

Posted by LeeG on Jan 27, 2006

I've seen a s&g kayak with only 1 1/2" 6oz tape on the interior seam with no fillets, 2 layers 3" 9oz tape over thick fillets, one layer 3" 9oz tape over thick and thin fillet, one layer 3" 9oz tape and 6oz cloth over thin and thick fillets with the edges of the tape sanded down to where there was no adjoining cloth connecting to the tape ,,AND I believe the A. Hawk has ONLY a thick fillet on the inside cockpit chines with no glass over the fillet (someone correct me on that if I'm wrong). So I guess there's some variation. My $.02 is that using lightweight filler to reduce overall weight is misguided compared to using an adequate amount of something that's strong. Using more of something that's structurally weaker seems one step forward two steps backward. For your own good fun make up four 6"x6" test panels out of 4mm ply approximating some combinations then break them up. How about two panels with 160 degree angles using one with no fillet and glass, the other with fillet and glass. Another pair of test panels at 120degrees with no fillet and glass and fillet and glass. For a little more variation on those four test panels you could make sure one panel had no cloth on the inside and the other did. Oh wait,,two more panels using the light filler replicating one of the other layups.

In Response to: Fillet Strength by Chris J. on Jan 27, 2006

Replies:

No Replies.