Re: New Shearwater Design

Posted by FrankP on Oct 13, 2005

I am no expert!

Okay, now that that has been said, I agree with but not necessarily . I think there are plenty of people who have no desire to reach "the next level" and are very comfortable paddling a Chessy (for example) from the start of their paddling career all the way to the finish of it. For those people, buying the right boat the first time is fairly easy and as a result the overall cost is much less. Then there are people like me who deliberately buy "too much boat" for them as their first boat. I have a lot of confidence in my abilities and wish to move to "the next level" so I bought a boat that is very tippy but I'm extremely comfortable with after just a few paddles. That said, I also believe that certain boats just don't feel tippy to some people. I never felt like the Arctic Hawk, for example, was a particularly tippy boat, but it would /never/ hold me back as a paddler because it couldn't perform.

Odds are, however, that your first statement "non-expert trying out a new, better-performing kayak...SHOULD feel a little tippy" is correct. It isn't a universal truth, but few things are.

FrankP

In Response to: Re: New Shearwater Design by Mark Camp on Oct 12, 2005

Replies: