Re: Just Launched MC 13

Posted by Dale in Michigan on Oct 3, 2005

Thanks for great feedback. Well ,I used Interlux Brightsides Paint 1 part Poly. It took 6 coats total with 1 coat of Interlux pre-coat,2nd coat was mixed 50-50 pre-coat and 4152 yellow and the remaining 4 coats were full strength 4152 yellow. Now about the paddle. This paddle is truly a joy to make and to use. I got the dimentions from http://seacanoe.org/images/fig-6.gif I made the paddle 5 inches longer than the plans call for because the paddle is typically used on kayaks that are in the 22 inch wide range. The MC 13 being around 27" or so I think required a longer paddle. Also I am 6'1 and need the extra length. Yesterday I took to the lake with me 2 other double blade paddles and I like the greenland style alot. Your boat won't go as fast nomally paddling but the paddle weighs about half as much as my other homemade paddles.Also I did not use the paddle as recommended by other web sites. Some people say to use the sliding stroke when using this type of paddle but for now I am happy using it the same way I use any double paddle.I would say to anyone thats interested in this paddle to go to your local Home Depot and pick up a good straight 2X4X8 cedar board and a sharp block plane and about 4 hours and 3 beers and put on a coat of Tung oil and go paddle. Gota get back to work,I have started another MC 13. I can't do 2 things at once like some people . Cheers, Dale

In Response to: Re: Just Launched MC 13 by Tom M. (Maryland) on Oct 3, 2005

Replies:

No Replies.