Re: Pgymy vs CLC

Posted by Howard on Oct 2, 2005

both pygmy and clc are very reputable companies. the end result of the sheer clamp vs the glass/tape technique does not makes any difference in terms of the quality of the kayak, from my perspective. there are a lot of great kit built boats using both techniques. that being said, i do think that the shear clamp technique is a bit easier for a first time builder who does not have a lot of experience building things.

but i think you ought to first figure out which boat/boats you want. and paddling them is the best way to do that. a call to pygmy, i am sure, can probably put you into contact with a local person who has the boat you are interested in. most folks are pretty friendly at letting you take a ride and discussing their building experience.

do that for the clc and pygmy boats that you are interested in. when you identify which boats work for you...then use stuff like the construction details to drive your final decision.

no sense in committing to a company or a construction technique if they do not have a boat that works for you.

by the way, which length shearwater did you paddle...and how did you like it? did you paddle any other clcboats. the shearwater is a new design....and a bit more complex than their chesapeake series from a construction stand-point.

hs

In Response to: Pgymy vs CLC by John Faas on Oct 1, 2005

Replies:

No Replies.