�Not Self, but Country�

Posted by Gober on Sep 27, 2005

I just finished an awesome onlay, it�s an American flag. The flag is hanging sort limp, making a triangle at the top then sort of lying back over its self. The onlay was a little over 36 inches from tip to tail. I think it was over 50 pieces in all. I used walnut for blue, cherry for red, ribbon cut maple for the white stripes and bird�s eye maple for the stars. That ribbon cut maple looks like a waving flag. I left the wood all natural no stains. I can wait to get the glass on it and wet it out.

This boat is going to be a gift for my twin that getting out of the navy.

I also put the crests, of both the ships he server on, on each side of the cockpit covering the deck seam. I printed the crest on glossy photo paper because it has white in them. Then I cut to shape and sprayed a clear coat on them then glued them down.

Then I used deal paper from Hobby Lobby to print out his name and the phrase �Not Self, but Country� (the unofficial navy motto). His name will go directly behind the cockpit while the phrase �Not Self, but Country� will arch around the front of the cockpit.

Now I have used the decal paper before and know that stuff is very tricky, so this time I tried a different technique. First I painted the area that�s going to be decaled with epoxy. After that dried I printed the decals on decal paper. Then I got some �crystal clear� packing tape (made by Duck Tape) and taped over the printed decal. Then I cut the clear taped decal out and dipped it in water to loosen the paper backing and place it in its proper place. The �Crystal Clear� tape did not allow the decal to wrinkle or fold up.

Pictures soon!

Replies: