Re: Fastest Way to Paddle

Posted by Kurt Maurer on Sep 6, 2005

I have been taking lessons from a Texas Water Safari coach, and can vouch for what everyone has said so far.

How much should my torso rotate, you wonder? "More than you think is necessary!" she barks.

Y' wanna know how to get the idea right quick? Try the Frankenstein Stroke, that's what I had to do when I wasn't twisting sufficiently to please her highness. Paddle without bending your elbows AT ALL. Hold the paddle straight out in front of you, then start goin' places using your body to move the blades, and keep your arms STIFF and RIGID.

Hoo-boy, and we haven't even got to the pedal-pumping thing. Set them foot braces back, you want a healthy bend in your knees (they really oughta be stickin' out up above the deck). When your left blade hits the water, the left knee begins unwinding, and it helps shove your entire body around in the rotation! Don't bend your elbows, dammit, at least not until the blade exits the water! And remember to "punch the guy in the nose" with the upper hand -- keep it high! The end of the left side stroke ought to be a perfect beginning for the right side stroke! Do not begin unwinding your right knee until the blade enters the water! Rinse and repeat ad nauseum. It's a total body workout, man!

Puffpuffpuff, Kurt

In Response to: Re: Fastest Way to Paddle by LeeG on Sep 6, 2005

Replies: