off to a rough start

Posted by jamie on Jul 3, 2005

Well, Emily and I have finally started our projects. We decided to start with her LT16 and save my slightly more complex Arctic Hawk for when we have the benefit of experience from working on hers. While the instruction book that Mark Rogers wrote for the hawk is truly exhaustive, it's still a slightly more daunting project than the LT.

The problem is this: We carefully set up and glued the scarf joints, and I felt a tiny spark of accomplishment at having taken the first step in our journey. To my chagrin, however, when we pulled the weights and plastic and tape all off, one of the panels had set wrong, with the scarf overlapping too far. And here I thought I had been so careful! Now I'm left wondering how to salvage this. She had wanted to bright finish the hull, but I don't know if we'll be able to salvage this cleanly. To make it worse, it was one of the side panels. If it had beef a bottom panel, at least it wouldn't have been constantly visible on the side of the hull. Oh well. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might take care of this problem? I could just burn through a few sheets of sandpaper, but it'd probably guarantee having to paint the hull. Thanks, -jamie

Replies: