Re: Supplies needed 4 MC-

Posted by Steve Miller on Jun 29, 2005

This is such a personal question. Way more than you think is the actual answer. Buy 50 each of the foam brushes and chip brushes. 2" is good. Add two roller covers for each coat of epoxy (hull and deck), primer, paint and varnish. 25 easy of the thin yellow ones for epoxy and 25 more of the white 4" round end foam from Lowes or Home Depot. Lots of sandpaper for your random orbital - 100, 150, 180. 220 and 400. Buy the sandpaper in boxes of 50 or 100. Its FAR cheaper than the 6 or 10 packs at the big box stores and you will have some left for the next boat. Get your chip brushes from Harbor Freight and foam brushes from Michaels Craft and Floral (cheapest source for the only brand I'll use - JEN, the others fall apart too easy). Nitrile gloves hold up better than latex which does not stop the chemicals. 2 boxes of 100. You can never have enough gloves - some steps like glassing will take many pairs as they get sloppy from epoxy. A good chemical respirator so you do not develop allergic problems to the epoxy, Safety glasses! Rags, mixing containers, mixing sticks (tongue depressors from Michaels Craft) or the plastic West System mixing sticks from anyplace that sells West System. Wipe them off and reuse. A pack of yellow bondo spreaders from any auto parts store. Good masking tape like 3M Fine Line for your paint/varnish line and some blue painters tape for other tasks. Fairing board (make your own).

That should get you started. You can buy most of this stuff from our host but you can also probably source it local to you too.

More thoughts - Tools and stuff : Extra copper stitching wire comes to mind. Some good linemans pliers to tighten your stitches, FLUSH cutting wire cutters to remove the stitches, a good pull saw, a block plane - small Stanley and the stuff to sharpen it. Again - all this stuff is available here or local depending on the time you want to spend shopping.

Check out Kurts famous MC 13 site. Mine is linked from there. We both built from plans but after the first 15 hours or so of cutting its all the same. Here is a shot of my MC13 to get you going!

I built it for my daughter.

http://www.hevanet.com/kg7pv/Millcreek/cover.jpg

Kurts Famous MC13 site.

In Response to: Supplies needed 4 MC-13 by Pierce Davidson on Jun 29, 2005

Replies:

No Replies.