The Kindness of Strangers

Posted by CLC on Jun 25, 2005

Profuse thanks to the folks who stopped by during our Midwest Tour. This has been a great trip.

In Washburn, Wisconsin, among other thrills I was treated to a small parade of finished Arctic Hawks including one by Rich Lafans; an event any time but it sure made Mark Rogers and me happy.

In Duluth I was met on the outskirts of town by one of the Duluth city planners, Bob Bruce, who knew I was coming and spotted the rig as I drove over the bridge. He flagged me down right before I made a wrong turn. Now THAT'S Midwestern hospitality. A million thanks of course to Dale and Amy, who put me up and pitched in at the demo. Many of you know them from their days running The Boathouse in St. Paul. Ditto Midnight Sun, the Duluth-based outfitters who hosted the event and showed every kindness.

Holland was great today, with over sixty people, at least one of whom asked me to sign their instruction manual. Particular thanks to the crew at Macatawa Boat House Canoe & Kayak Rentals who threw open their gate and helped schlepp boats. Also to Greg Swarthout, who brought his beautiful Skerry and helped sweat the boats (including our Skerry) across the sand at Holland State Park.

See you next year!

Replies:

No Replies.