Re: Rolling my 17lt

Posted by terry on Jun 21, 2005

Hi, Susan,

I agree with Gary, that an instructor is probably the best way to learn. I like pool practice in the winter (unless you live well south). Many kayak clubs rent pool time and have rolling sessions at very reasonable prices (at least two clubs near Philadelphia, for example). Maybe check the website for the American Canoe Assoc. for clubs local to you and see if they do rolling sessions. This is how I learned how to roll (and I'm well over 40).

That being said, rolling, in my opinion, is a skill that is important for safe open water kayaking, but not critical. In heavy seas, like you can get in the midst of a summer storm on all but the smallest bodies of water, rolling is important, but can be tiring if you have to use it repeatedly, at which point you can't roll anymore without rest. This makes the knowledge of self rescue/reentry important as a backup, though this may fail you in heavy seas also. As a third backup, I always carry a waterproof VHF radio to call for help if and when when I can no longer help myself.

Rolling is also difficult and maybe even unsafe for folks with weak or impaired backs, shoulders, arms or hands. I have a bad back and it hurts like hell when I roll, hence my reliance on rolling only when I absolutely need it (which hadn't been for several years).

Neat that you could reenter without a paddle float. A useful skill, as paddle floats can also be diffcult to rig in heavy seas. Some folks can even re-enter without a paddle! (sadly, not me, unless the boat is on the beach).

Good luck with your rolling.

terry

In Response to: Rolling my 17lt by Susan on Jun 20, 2005

Replies:

No Replies.