Re: Oxford shell building

Posted by Dirk on Jun 15, 2005

I built my Oxford starting in December and finished in March. I used my dad's garage since mine was only 18' long. Even at 10F in a unheated garage there was no problem with getting heat. I used a tarp and a space heater. The CLC epoxy emits much less fumes than others. I used a chemical cartridge mask just in case. Varnish fumes were probably worse. I went nuts and built a three section 21' x 2' x 2.5' high work bench out of plywood and 2x4's. I made cradles out of 2" Styrofoam perfectly shaped to the hull and deck. plastic tape over the styrofoam prevented sticking. I now use the cradles on a car top carrier. If I do it again, I am going to mount it on a turning spicket. Like a pig on a spicket or rotisserie. I flipped that thing a lot. The stands with the straps that CLC uses would be better. Get a peg board for your tools, and a wheeled cart for the epoxy stuff. I had never seen a shell before. I bought a rowing video to teach myself. Took some time to adjust the oars, add some mirrors. It works great and looks good. Enjoy.

In Response to: Oxford shell building by Gabe on Jun 14, 2005

Replies: