Re: weight reduction tech

Posted by J.Schott on Jun 2, 2005

I am currently in the process of building a light weight modified ch17lt. It is not finished yet, all that is left is deck glass and cockpit coaming. I weighed it last night and I was very surprized with the results, 22 lbs. Here is the list of modifications that were made to save weight.

3mm side panels 3mm deck 1/2"x3/4" sheer clamps 5.7 oz twill weave carbon cloth in cockpit Small fillets Small end pours thickened with equal parts cabosil and West 407 low density filler beck beam made with 2 laminated 3mm 1" wide strips 3mm bulkheads reinforced with carbon cloth

The reason for the carbon cloth is to add the needed rigidity to the cockpit without adding weight. I am still surprized with how stiff the center of the boat is. I plan on laying on a layer on the underside of the deck in the high stress areas such as the deck beam and around the cockpit opening and under the aft deck. Once covered with 6 oz cloth, the 3mm side panels stiffened up nicely. I took some 3mm scrap with a layer of carbon on it, no fill coat, to show the guys at work how tough it was. They tried many times to break it but were unsucessful. I am not worried about the boats durability and will be sticking it in the water saturday to see how it paddles.

I'm sure my tinkering with SnG formula will generate some skeptical response, but I wanted to see how far I could push the light weight limit while maintaining strength. I'm sure John is wondering if I have lost my mind about now, and the answer will depend on who you ask. There is more than one way to "skin a cat", this is just my way. So,I have let the cat out of the bag about my tinkering, take it easy on me guys:)

p.s. email me if you want pictures, I haven't set up my free web space yet to post picks. Been too busy fixing what aint broke!

In Response to: Re: weight reduction tech by terry on Jun 2, 2005

Replies: