Re: Hempel paints?

Posted by Steve Miller on Jun 1, 2005

Ok, let me take a stab at this. My 2 cents. Your epoxy and glass covered boat does not need a primer for paint or varnish. None. Nope. Nada.

The paint salesman directed you to the most expensive paint system you can buy. He is not your friend.

Two pack poly with isocyanate sounds similar to what I call linear poly and needs very specific fresh air supply safety gear or it may kill you. Not make you sick or light headed, make you dead. Not user friendly.

Not all that easy to apply unless you are really good with a spray rig. Some claim to get ok results with brush or roller. Very good paint but way over kill for a kayak. Great to do the hull on your 45' trawler that will look good for 10 years but never get dragged up on a beach (at least not on purpose).

If you have never painted and lived with boats before then heed the advice on this forum for painting kayaks - they get bashed and scuffed and beat. In the long run the two part poly paints are not going to hold up any better than single part Brightsides or even good old oil based porch paint available at Home Depot for $20 gallon. The two part poly are the highest gloss and look fantastic if done right however.

The one part paints are easier to apply, touch up and cheaper. They will hold up fine and look as good as the prep you do before painting. Remember that lots of CLC boats get an all over coat of plain old varnish no paint.

If you just have to have two part poly then look for System 3 online and get their water based linear poly. Won't kill you and does not need sanding between coats. (Your prep better be perfect).

My 2 cents.

In Response to: Hempel paints? by Mislav on Jun 1, 2005

Replies: