Re: Fish this with MC-13?

Posted by Randy Knauff on Jun 1, 2005

It still sounds like you want to know what you can handle in that boat. Skills and boat outfitting will determine what you can do. A sit on top will raise your center of gravity and make the boat less stable, more likely to flip. Plus you'll get wetter in wind and waves. Build the boat, it is a good one. Learn to paddle well. Always keep or build in displacement/flotation. If conditions are rougher, put some ballast in the boat to lower the center of gravity and make it more stable. I carry poly bags I can load with gravel, sand or rock for all my students. When it kicks up, I load their boats down and they are much more comfortable. You can make an outrigger bar with a couple of floats (foam, inflated boat bumpers/rollers, wood...) and clamp it across your boat when it kicks up stormy. Lakes (unless huge/miles across) don't get enough big swell to threaten a wide boat or one with outriggers. The 13 should do fine for most everything you want and you can modify it for those other times. Time to start enjoying it. Randy

In Response to: Fish this with MC-13? by Pierce Davidson on Jun 1, 2005

Replies: