Re: floor glassing Q (pra

Posted by CLC on May 23, 2005

>>>>>>>- When done, do I remove this tape? - Leave in place and epoxy over it? - Isn't is hard to trim the glass after you coat it with epoxy?

:>>>>>>>>>>>

The wet fiberglass should just touch the taped section of Panel #2. You can let it cure--I often do---then the extra 'glass is zipped off with a sharp razor knife right along the seam between #1 and #2.

What's better is to return to the assembly when the epoxy has activated but is still a bit gooey. It's easier to cut with a razor knife and peel off at this stage.

>>>>>>>>>>>>> BTW, with my 20w soldering iron removing the copper wires took FOREVER. Had to heat each wire about 35 secs. But I am glad I did it since I want to finish the inside of my boat to a very high standard.

:>>>>>>>>>>

I've never done this. I just yank the wires out with a pair of pliers. The trick is to snip the wire loop on the inside, then pull the wire twist out from the outside. There's a small risk of denting the wood when you lever the wire out, but the dent's on the outside where it will disappear beneath paint.

I'll be building 11 Eastport Prams this weekend. We're using plastic zip-ties instead of wire, for speed and for the safety of the kids who are participating. You have to drill a larger hole and you don't get as much refinement in adjustment with the zip-ties, but it's quick and there won't be any eyes poked out. (Knock on wood.)

In Response to: floor glassing Q (pram) by mullman on May 23, 2005

Replies:

No Replies.