Re: sailboats

Posted by Mark Camp on Feb 15, 2005

I was looking for something like a Lightening design, basically what you describe, and the closest thing in CLC catalog was the Sharpie, so I got a Sharpie kit. So, yes and no: yes I was in that market, no, I'm not now.

Actually the traditional workboat aesthetics of the cat/ketch rig were a plus to me. You are looking for something a bit more modern than John's Sharpie.

On the plus side, your requirements would be ideally suited to S and G technique. I'm sure many Lightenings must have been built this way.

A fast semi-planing sailboat benefits by the high stiffness, low weight of S and G. The hull is made of developable surfaces and hard chines. And sailors are more likely to be attracted to the idea of a beautiful bright-finished boat, I think, than the stinkpot crowd, whose tastes run more to 200 horsepower flourescent purple plastic cow patties with lots of cup-holders. (I mean that in the best possible way, not to offend any of the power fleet who are reading. ;-)

One problem is that the market is so small. CLC had more or less discontinued the Sharpie when I got mine, partly for that reason. I could not get a full kit, only the plywood parts. I think the shipping cost for masts and all is tough, too.

So you may have to get plans for a Lightening or one of that type, and do it yourself in copper-sewn okoume. If you do, keep us posted, it sounds like a neat project.

In Response to: sailboats by Karl on Feb 14, 2005

Replies:

No Replies.