Kurts New Project!

Posted by Kurt Maurer on Feb 14, 2005

ANOTHER new project, that is... You're not gonna believe this, Commodores, but here goes:

After posting my adventures regarding the adopted abandoned wreck of a Guillemot stripper project, which I have been paddling for a week now, I got an email: "Kurt, I have a Pygmy Osprey HP about 75% complete hanging from the rafters in my garage. I'm never going to finish it, and need the space. It is yours for the taking if you want it, or know anyone who does. I only want to see someone finish and paddle it."

Of course I fetched it home, are you kidding? It was the least I could do for a guy with a crowded garage (full of sleek high-end fiberglass sea kayaks, btw). I'm just a heck of a guy!

Upon survey, I find he has done an admirable job of building, although there is about one ton of excess epoxy inside the hull, mostly in the form of runs, drips, sags, pools, etc., etc., for me to grind out. And the stock Pygmy coaming is AWFUL! BLEAH!! (Pygmy has since included a recess for the A-frame chalet thing, at least in the rear). Still, this boat, sans bulkheads, a couple light fill coats, and a cockpit, weighs only 30 pounds -- a splendid start.

The Osprey HP is a 17'-6" x 22" multi-chine affair similar to a West River. It's definitely a high volume design. I'm loving the look of the hull, and the scads of interior space strike me as having the possibility of it becoming a perfect fishing kayak (can haul a decent ice bag). I'm thinking the waterline length is very nearly 17 FEET, and you know how I like to haul ass! Yas, I'm loving the look of 'er...

I understand it will prefer to go straight, which ought to be a marked contrast to the Guillemot, which loves nothing better than to turn. The Guilly is like paddling a 17-foot whitewater kayak, in fact; a real blast in its own way! I built it to play in the surf, and want that maneuverability. But I'm looking at the Osprey as a big, fast fishing boat. Lord knows where the Cormorant will fit into all this. May well be that the Cormorant handles windy conditions better.

Actually, it is most likely that someone just needs to shoot me. I'm obviously out of control.

Cheers, Kurt

http://members.aol.com/arky704/images/NewPyg.jpg

The Guillemot Story

Replies: