Re: Digital Camera Advice

Posted by terry on Feb 4, 2005

Gert/Dick:

I hear ya on the water-resistance/proofness. I trashed my trusty old Olympus stylus two summers back in a kayak spill. The old flip-in-shallow- water-exit routine. Doused the little camera just enough to short the battery. When I noticed the case was hot, I figured the thing was dead meat. Miss it, as it was lugged up some very high mountains and covered a heap of water and pretty trails.

'Course, the dear wife could have prevented the capsize, as it was a gradual loss of balance as the wet paddle slipped in my hands. Seems she was temporarily disabled, as in doubled up with laughter watching me flip in front of a beach full of less-than-admiring onlookers. Copious mortification.

Anyhow, this new camera is staying ashore, unless I spring for a waterproof housing. I plan on buying a really cheap 2 MP digital for the on-board shots.

I seem to be zeroing in on the Olympus C765 with the 10x zoom. Battery life may be an issue and it's a proprietary battery. And others have complained about the company's surly customer service, but I'd really like a big zoom, as I had one years ago on an SLR and loved it.

That Olympus Stylus 500 is nice also, in that it has a big, 2.5" LCD. Only a 3x zoom, so I'll have to see if it can take a telephoto.

So I have to continue to focus on this camera issue to see what develops. Don't want to make any snap decisions.

Anyhow, thanks again for the kind advice

terry

In Response to: Re: Digital Camera Advice by Gert Walter on Feb 3, 2005

Replies:

No Replies.