Thought on End Pours

Posted by Mac on Dec 3, 2004

I'd ask that you consider that the end pours have a lot to do with kayak design and shape.

The kayak I built last winter has no end pours as part of the instructions (I did put in about 2oz at each end, but realize now that this was my famous overkill, and only added weight - not strength).

The Chesapeake kayaks have high volume bows and sterns which help them handle high waves and following seas without submarining. The hull sides, shears and deck and hull panels all come together at say, a 15 degree angle. This doesn't leave a lot of wood to wood contact surface and needs to be backed up with a mass of some sort - be it a wood block or epoxy. This is especially true if a rudder is to be mounted.

The design I built has the side and hull panels clamped flat together for about 4 to 6 inches creating a knife-edged bow and stern.

Because there is 6" of combined 8mm thickness of epoxy and fiberglass impregnated plywood in the bow, I think the sides would explode outward in a head on impact before the prow would fail.

Oh, the shear clamps in this design are shaped, and run right to the ends - providing a complete gluning surface for the deck, and result in no hollows.

LeeG was speaking earlier of shin killing bows which endanger swimmers and marine life in the surf. My kayak is illegal in this respect and I have to carry an RCMP restricted weapon permit at all times. Fortunately, this 19' wave cutting kayak will never see surf unless I feel like pole vaulting ashore.

Replies: