Re: Fillets

Posted by Mark Camp on Nov 29, 2004

The little carving-type cutters, made of metal or carbide, are mentioned by Jahrome. They are great.

In addition to these, you should check out the "little" and "big" abrasive disks, also available at any K-mart or big box store.

The big ones I like better for most jobs because they are made of a strong black gritty material that lasts forever. They are thicker than the little ones, too. The radius is a bit more than an inch, which for some jobs is better.

The little ones come in a plastic tube, maybe 20 or 50 to the tube. They are thin (1 mm?) only about 2 cm in diameter (less than an inch or so) and rust-brown in color. A tube is cheap, but they break frequently, so you do go through them. You absolutely HAVE to wear eye protection EVERY TIME, since flying high-speed shards are now the NORMAL EXPECTED event! I suppose you should protect the rest of your face, too, but I am hoping to get those chiseled good looks that women find so attractive, so I don't. (Kate, I didn't know you read this forum, but anyway I am just kidding, you know.)

They are fantastic on fillets, because their diameter is so big compared to a little metal cutter. You can quickly smooth the main part of a fillet; with care, you can lay it tangent to the blend with the deck, draw it in the direction of the fillet, and and thus taper out the edge of the fillet; finally, you can excavate "white holes" prior to filling them with more goo. I mean those pits filled with dry white glass where there was an air pocket. With the disk, you can very carefully scoop at the crater, with each pass getting deeper, until the white powder just disappears. (other folks have better ways of dealing with white holes, using epoxy and syringe but I haven't tried that yet, no veterinarian buddies to get me syringes and I can't see taking up illicit drugs, as this was intended to be a healthy hobby).

In Response to: Re: Fillets by Parke on Nov 29, 2004

Replies: