Re: Hoisting for Storage

Posted by Mac on Nov 26, 2004

Hi Steve,

Thank's for your reply. How goes the holiday so far? Hope you're enjoying yourself.

Was just talking to my brother in-law who's just returned to Montreal after 36 hrs of travel from Arizona. "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" to the max.

Oh, yeah, kayaks...My plan is to use 2 big eye bolts(hooks) through the ceiling drywall into the joists as you did. In fact I've put one in, attached a pulley and 3/8 inch nylon braided rope and pulled myself off the floor (250lbs fully clothed). As the kayak weighs less than 60lbs fully rigged and will be supported at each end, am I correct in assuming each pulley will only need to support 30lbs? Whether I put a sling at each end or run the rope through the end pour holes, I figure the load on the ceiling would be the same. If a sling lets go, or an end rope lets go the result would be the same "The Sword of Damacleese"(sp).

My biggest concern is that I haven't seen anyone hang their yaks from the very ends, and wonder if this is more because of some kind of possible warping. A subtle way to increase rocker?

I could see this as a problem with Tupperware boats, but after what I've put my ol' okoume hull through this year I'm beginning to think it's indestructable.

I've got lots of time to think this over as I'm still waiting for my VCP hatch kit to make it through our "Free Trade" border and to get out the ol' saber saw. "This won't hurt a bit... BWAAAA HA HA HA!!!" (cheap initation of Kurt Maurer - full moon).(The moon is full, not Kurt.) (Then again, it IS thanksgiving, and he probably IS full.)

In Response to: Re: Hoisting for Storage by Steve Miller on Nov 25, 2004

Replies: