Carry Handles

Posted by Mac on Nov 11, 2004

Here we come from left fied (where they keep the Mac's).

I built my yak last winter and paddled a lot this summer. I had made the rope fisherman's knot loops a la CLC. Real pretty little pains in the &^% as far as I'm concerned. If you let them hang down, they rythmically tap against bow and stern as you paddle. If you flip them up onto the deck they're quiet untill you paddle through some reeds which immediately flip them down again. As far as carry or tow handles over any distance, they pinch your hands.

So there I was with these 1/2 holes in bow and stern and wondering what to do. Then I hit on this crazy idea. Wood dowel removable toggles.

This is sooo easy.

The holes in my stem and stern are 1/2"OD, 7/16"ID and the rope I use is 3/8".

Using broom handle sections about 4" long, drill a single 3/8" hole through the diameter, dead center. Epoxy or CYA the end of a 12" length of 3/8" rope flush into the hole. Seal the other end of the rope so it doesn't fray.

Put them in your dry bag. Paddle your kayak nice and sleek and clean. When it comes time to lift/drag/tow, push rope through holes and tie a half hitch in the free end. For absolute balance in a two person carry, insert ropes from opposite sides.

Once the kayak is on top of your vechicle or trailer, remove the toggles, and use the holes for tie-down lashings.

Sorry for the length of this post, I know a picture could have kept it to one sentence, but I'm DC with VD. (Digitally Challenged with Verbal Diarrhea).

Have a super day..........

In Response to: Re: Stern carry handles by Paul on Nov 10, 2004

Replies:

No Replies.