Re: Moby Latch Question

Posted by Kyle T on Nov 10, 2004

Cool, more Moby Latches!!!

I wanted to race the Alafia Challenge but I raced [and won :-)] the Howl at the Moon 12hr AR the weekend before. I was afraid to pre-enter two weekends in a row not knowing what kind of shape I would be in after the Howl and there was no signing up the week prior to the Challenge.

I doubt that you will realize any benefit from making the effort of adding the posts. The rubber in the bungees will last a long time before it fatigues and there will always be a chance that you will drive off someday without reattaching the Mobys. Since the bungee cords are cheap and so easy to change I would consider adding their replacement to your annual maintenance routine.

Anything that shortens the functional length of the bungee cord will make it so that you have to preload the bungee even more. Another post idea might be to simply add additional length to the Moby's pivot pin and use that to anchor the opposite Moby's bungee. That way the functional length of the bungee is as long as possible. The only downside is that you are adding the small additional weight of the extra bungee.

At any rate, I used only 3/8 inch wide hatch foam which requires considerably less compression force than the 3/4 inch wide foam that CLC provides. So I don't have to preload the bungees as much as you do. You might consider using slightly narrower foam yourself or better yet find something different that requires less compression force. Lowe�s has some stuff I will be using on my next boat. It�s a molded rubber weather strip that has cross section shaped like a 'D'. It is very easy to compress and compresses into a much thinner area than the foam weather strip. It also seems that it will be more durable than the foam.

Kyle T.

http://home.mpinet.net/~mxkyle/_uimages/group-latch.jpg

In Response to: Moby Latch Question by Dave on Nov 10, 2004

Replies: