Re: what do you wear?

Posted by Mac on Nov 9, 2004

Peter,

Probably too much. This is a transition period and one can often over dress. I find with my nylon spray skirt, my lower (and ample) half stays warm without any special clothing. Just jeans. My torso seems fine with a tee shirt covered by a wool shirt covered by a waterproof wind breaker covered by a PFD. My PFD is the traditional R20 styrofoam model which tends to overheat my torso.

Depending on the wind, I'll either wear my oiled canvas Aussie Bush hat for sun and glare, or the traditional Quebec Hockey Toque eh?

Even the winter paddling gloves are too warm for right now, and I'll wear lightly lined leather construction gloves. (Gloves are tricky, as the grip on the paddle - if not like your skin - can be extremely tiring. So I suggest taking a bunch of gloves and trying them out).

All in all, I'm a fashion don't. Queer Eye for the Straight Guy saw me and they all fainted.

I'm a long distance cross country skier from way back, and I've learned - layers - many, many layers. Perspiration is your biggest enemy. Start off shivering wearing at least two layers of clothing - you will more than warm up in 10 minutes and probably have to remove another layer. Keep discarded clothing close by so you can whip it on when the sun goes behind a cloud, or the wind picks up (which always seems to happen when you turn 180 to head for home.

Now remember, I'm a flat water paddler and I don't go very far from shore. I am NOT dressed for immersion. I would ask the salt water folk to weigh in here with how they handle this time of year.

You know, we keep taking pictures of our beautiful kayaks. Wouldn't it be a hoot to post some of ourselves in our horrific getups, standing on the shore?

I would send some of me, but my camera just broke!

All the best..

In Response to: what do you wear? by Peter on Nov 9, 2004

Replies: