Re: Packing Tape vs Maski

Posted by Dave Houser on Nov 3, 2004

I only use 3M Scotch standard weight clear packing tape. It seems to come off cured epoxy clean and not peel off too many wood fibers on unfinished wood.

I used brand x tape on my first boat and it stuck much stronger than the 3M but left glue behind and made a mess. I used lacquer thinner to remove the glue with much rubbing and smearing. Joe Greenley has recommended to use paint thinner as quoted below. Reports are the paint thinner works well.

"One technique that may work fairly well for getting rid of tape residue involves the use of slow evaporating paint thinner - the secret is to apply it to the residue and then walk away - don't start rubbing or trying to remove the adhesive at this point. Reapply thinner as it evaporates - you can also lay a paper towel over the adhesive and saturate it with thinner so as to keep the adhesive wet (covering with plastic will do this also). Let the thinner do it's thing - it'll eventually soften the adhesive. Once the glue is gelatinous, remove it with either a plastic scraper or your steel cabinet scraper (rubbing it with rags tends to just smear it around). You may have to run through this process a second time if the adhesive layer is terribly thick. Paint thinner is not nearly as nasty (to you and the epoxy) as acetone or lacquer thinner and is much cheaper than GOOP or some of the other products out there. Again, I think you can probably save yourself alot of elbow grease by letting the paint thinner do the bulk of the work - let it do it's thing while you occupy yourself with chopping dovetails or cleaning up the shop."

In Response to: Packing Tape vs Masking by Mac on Nov 3, 2004

Replies:

No Replies.