Re: shortning the beam

Posted by J.Schott on Oct 3, 2004

Wow, this is usually a more "friendly" place to bounce ideas off people for feedback! I am contemplating doing the same thing with the beam of a 17. I have a CH 17 now and I love it, now I want to build a narrowed version of the 17lt. The best advice I can offer you is to mock it up first with something cheap. My plans are to narrow the bottom panels by 1 inch to match the reduction in beam. I will be making patterns out of rosin paper (I think that is what it's called) and then transferring them to foam insulation board to mock up the hull. That way I can see the hull shape before it is built out of the good stuff. If it looks good, the patterns are made for the panels and are easy to reproduce. If adjustments are needed they should be easy to make. It will be at least 4 months before I can get started on my "custom lt" because of pending transfer. If you do decide to modify your boat keep us posted, and good luck with your project. The way I figure it, start with a proven design and make it fit your expectations. People have been doing this with perfectly good cars and motorcycles for years, why not a kayak?

In Response to: Re: shortning the beam by frank underwood on Oct 2, 2004

Replies: