Re: Gas Pedal footbraces

Posted by LeeG on Aug 26, 2004

I've seen a pivoting footbrace that came stock on a yakima footbrace in some kayak I forgot,,you might check Seaward kayaks. Here's what I did.

Screw a ss hinge to the top of the yakima footbrace.

Attach a small wood or plastic plate to the hinge that will just chear the underside of the deck. You may have to mount the rail lower for this to fit. The plate I used was as wide as the footbrace and about 2" tall.

Attach a short bungie to the top/back(otherside of foot/toe placement) of the plate and to the underside of the footpeg to provide a return force on plate pulling the hinged part forward.

Get some 1/8" hollow braid Vectran yachtbraid. It weighs nothing as is as strong as 1/16" ss. wire braid.

Make a constictor eye splice that connects to the top of the toe plate and another eyesplice that connects to the eye on the ss.wire that connects to the rudder.

The constrictor splice is kind of like that chinese finger toy. You can adjust the size of the loop by pulling different ends of the line. That way you can adjust the angle of the toe plates and for different stops on the rail.

The 1/8" line and constrictor splice is a no brainer,,a friend paddles a big Necky Pinta with the Necky super stretchy webbing that doesn't hold position. Replaced it with the line and it's got no stretch. Zip,nada.

In Response to: Gas Pedal footbraces by Sanford Finsilver on Aug 26, 2004

Replies:

No Replies.